Re: Mobile modems

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:34:26PM +0000, Andy Swallow wrote:

> Quick question:
>
> Does anybody know much about using a mobile phone as a modem for a laptop?

I occasionally use my mobile (Nokia 7110) to fetch my mail; it has an
infrared interface and built-in modem. Works fine.

> Is the whole subject something of a minefield?

Depends on your phone.  Not all phones have built-in modems.  Phones
without I/R (and without bluetooth) need cables to connect to a serial
port - if they can do so at all.

Depending on your phone make/model, you may want to look into gnokii.

And : http://www.tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html should prove interesting
to you too.

> Is it only realistically possible with Windows?

See above.  I wouldn't be surprised if 'phone support' is less extensive
for linux as it relies on volunteer help - and the manufacturer
publishing the specs without nasty non-disclosure clauses.

> Any pros/cons that I should be aware of?

Pro: It's cool. When you're on a train that's going absolutely nowhere,
you can still email the office saying that you're going to be late,
check the news headlines etc.

Con: speed. AFAIK the GSM speed tops out at 9.2Kbs, which is agonisingly
slow compared to modem speeds nowadays.  Being slow, it makes for longer
phonecalls, which can easily end up being expensive...

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com