Re: Mobile modems

From: "Andy Swallow" <andy@localhost.attcanada.ca>

> Does anybody know much about using a mobile phone as a modem for a laptop? Is
> the whole subject something of a minefield? Is it only realistically possible
> with Windows? Any pros/cons that I should be aware of?

Yes, there's a whole lot known about using mobiles for modems - but it depends
very much where you are.  Your "From" address says you're with my own ISP which
would suggest you're likely using a TDMA ('Rogers AT&T') phone, possibly CDMA
('mobility' - unless I've got my acronyms backwards) or, if it's a new phone in
a well serviced area, GSM.

However, your "Reply-to" address says you're in the UK, in which case you want
to get the "gnokii" package.

If you're doing this in Europe, or any other place using real GSM, gnokii should
give you all the functionality you need.

If you're in North America, GSM phones _should_ work, but iirc they're not
strictly conforming to the standard so there are no guarantees.

If you don't have a GSM phone, then support is sketchy, but if you can use it in
windows, you should be able to use it Linux.  I use my TDMA nokia phone (6160i)
for connection to the Rogers AT&T network as an ordinary modem on /dev/ttyS0 -
the only thing that's odd is that you can't wait for a dialtone because there
isn't one.  Unfortunately a TDMA phone can only get 9600bps!  GSMs, here, should
be as good as any landline (assuming good reception).
--
derek