Re: XFree86.4.3.0 and some more

Anders Malmberg wrote:
Hi!

I installed XFree86.4.3.0 last week because this version supported my
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 screen. I have some problems after this.
(I am able to run startx and everything looks nice that far :)

1. The session manager is lost somewhere...
When I log on I only recieve the bw promt. How do
I fix that? I want to be able to choose from KDE and Gnome etc.

apt-get install kdm

2. When I lower my screen there is a switch which triggs the machine
into a APM mode or something. Everything gets black when the screen
is raised again and what I do to start work again is to re-log-on. Takes
some time. I would simply like to be able to lower my screen whenever
I need to.

This sounds like a bug in the graphics driver. If you don't want to suspend when you close the cover, you can disable that in the BIOS.

3. Mouse problem. How do I detect external mouse in debian?

What kind of mouse (USB, PS/2, serial). What interface is your trackpad/pointing-stick/whatever using (again, USB, PS/2, etc.) If both are PS/2, then your BIOS should handle this. If both the trackpad or whatever and the external mouse are using USB, you need to change the line 'Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to 'Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice". If your trackpad and external mouse are using different interfaces (e.g. one is USB and one is PS/2), then you need to add a second "InputDevice" section to your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4". Something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"USB Mice"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

And in the "ServerLayout" section, add a line like the following:

        InputDevice "USB Mice"

Note that the name on that line should match whatever the Identifier is in the "InputDevice" sections. Use whatever identifier you want as long as both match.

Also, if the external mouse is USB, you need to make sure the following modules are loaded or load when X starts:

hid
usbmouse
mousedev
input
usb-uhci
usbcore

You might need
"usb-ohci" rather than "usb-uhci" depending on your chipset.

I assumed you do not have gpm installed and thus are not using the gpm repeater is your X mouse device. If you are using gpm and both the trackpad and the mouse use the same interface (e.g. both USB), then you may need to fix the gpm settings instead of or in addition to changing your X config.

Any help?

thanks,
Anders.