offlineimap (Re: Mail (smtp) config at different locations. Script or ..?)

When I asked for a sugestion for mail send/retrieval tools/clients I've
several anwsers pointing to offlineimap.

I've tryed it and I found it quite nice, it syncs my university server and
my laptop client like a charm... However I'm finding some issues that I
would like to comment:

1 - The maildir format is supported by mutt. Anyway I would like to be
able to have some graphical mail client also.. Neither kmail or sylpheed
seem to support the maildir format..

2 - How about sending? IMAP does not take cover of sending, and here I've
seen quite some different approaches:
- Tunneling to my mail server: No good. Sometimes my mail server is my ISP
(when I'm at home, at my home lan), other times it's my university mailer.
- Running courier, or qmail, or sendmail: Aren't those too complicated/big
for the job? I feel them as "server" mailers, not "client" mailers...
I do not need to handle hundreds or thousands of mail, I just need a mail
qeue when I'm offline and a way to dispatch that qeue when I get online..
 sSmtp doens't seem to support qeueing, masqmail is maybe the most near
tool I've found...

Is there a reason why I should use one of the "big" mailers?
Thanks.

Joao Clemente