Re: Install synaptics driver for touchpad - what is a pre-compiled binary?

hej thomas..

Received at 2003-03-12 / 13:01 by Thomas Nyman:

> describes how to modify your XF86Config-4 file."... my problem is this. I
> have downloaded and untarred the file but what exactly is the pre-compiled
> binary? Is it the synaptics_drv.o file? Does this mean i simply copy this
> file to the relevant catalog and make necessary changes in XF86Config-4,
> and remove tpconfig?

yes. take a look at point 3 in the file INSTALL:

3. Copy the driver-modul "snyaptics_drv.o" into the XFree-module path
"ex. /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/".

yes, there are some typos. :)

>Do i need gpm? or does the synaptic driver work as is?

no, you do not need gpm. on the contrary, i made the experience that gpm
gets into the way of the synaptics driver, but YMMV.

hth,
 sebastian
--
::: sebastian henschel