Re: checking root-filesystem after crash / grub / ext3

Thanks, all, for your answers !
Good to hear they're easy, grub and ext3
:)

Derek Broughton:
> and I run into the 20-mount limit at least once a week.
So ext3 has to be checked regularily, too ?
I remember there's a 'tune2fs' option to turn it off - is this untrusted ?

> btw, if you have /boot as a <40MB partition, usually mounted read-only, you
> would never need it to be ext3 anyway - completely eliminating the previous
> question about grub on ext3.
ok
> This may make some differenct to the above
> scenario, since my initrd image is on the /boot partition.  I only mount
> /boot rw when I update lilo.
I recognize now, might be some special benefits in having separated
partitions:
The unmounted /boot is better protected from 'damages'.
(however, grub doesn't care about changed physical positions, using the FS
pathes, so a simple boot directory seemed to be straight to me first).
Then, if corruption occurs, most probably it hits  /tmp, /var and /home.
If those are within the root-FS, this has to be checked completely; where one
can choose more preciseley the targets, in the other case.
In the past,  i tried to partition with regards to drive speed.
That's a new point of view now.

--

                          micha.