Re: checking root-filesystem after crash

From: "mi" <Michael.Wordehoff@gmx.de>

> Anybody on a laptop list experienced with that ?...
> Am i right that fsck shouldn't be run upon the running root-filesystem, so
> one rather would boot another linux (e.g. from an installer cd ) to do that ?
>
> ( For the curious, yes, now I'm ready to move to ext3 ;-)

Regularly...  I have an as-yet-undiagnosed bug that locks me up and requires a
poweroff to reset, so I get the fsck on boot messages all the time.  It mounts
the root system read-only to fsck it when required. Then remounts it when the
fsck is done - and you don't actually get to boot till it's all finished. Since
/ is an ext3 partition, it doesn't usually need to fsck it, but the hard reset
almost always requires a second boot because the PCMCIA card doesn't come up,
and I run into the 20-mount limit at least once a week.

btw, if you have /boot as a <40MB partition, usually mounted read-only, you
would never need it to be ext3 anyway - completely eliminating the previous
question about grub on ext3.  This may make some differenct to the above
scenario, since my initrd image is on the /boot partition.  I only mount /boot
rw when I update lilo.
--
derek