Gnome locking up.

Hello,
This is my first post to the mailing list so nice to meet you. Any hoo I am having problems with gnome it seems to lock up when I change a setting. Like if I change the image in the background of the terminal then I press ok to apply my changes and boom it locks up any insight on this problem. Also I am running the latest stable version of debian and I recompiled the kernal to kernel-2.4.20 it compiled fine but every other boot the screen shrenks buy 3inchs or so on every side any ideas on what this might be. My laptop is a Dell 2650 Inspiron P4 1.8 256mb of ram 30gig HD cd-rw. Any help is gratly apreciated.

Thanks
hde