Re: troubles with my modem ;o((

Have you checked the BIOS setup for the serial ports? Maybe, it'd be a
simple BIOS configuration trouble.
my bios only configures one serial port..
but my modem is built-in.. so i need to create a new serial port?(and not use ttyS0 ? apart from that, the IRQ of my modem is set to 0.
how can i change that? setpci doesn't seem to change a lot..
i read, that i could tell my bios that i don't use a PnP OS, and then it will configure all serial devices. is that correct? but, i didn't find any way to tell that to my BIOS..
should i do a bios update? and if so, how?

Also, check for interrupts conflicts;
i should be allowed to use the same IRQs, right? in /proc/interrupts, no interrupts for my modem are shown..somehow my laptop doesn't seem to know, that modem exists.

ok, apart from that:
is there a way to maybe repartition the hard-disk and install windows, without losing all my data? then i could have a look on how that modem works there, or if it works at all.and,windows, or at least a windows partition would come in handy, since wine doesn't seem to be able to handle some programs on cds that only work with windows , (which i would still like to use).

ok, and because i don't want to write a new e-mail for every one of the thousand other questions i still have: i think, i've seen the dot-clock thingy of my video-card. but to know, which resolution and frequency i can use, i still need to know the maximum horizontal frequency of my screen, don't i?
all i know is, that it's a TFT XGA Color Display.
my laptop is a Medion MD 9783
any body there, who has the same?
and, which driver could i use for my graphics card, so hardware accelaration will be enabled? my kernel version is 2.4.18, and there are only drivers for xfree 4.1, but i use 4.2, so everything works fine, but some xmms plugins are way too slow. i could probably find this somewhere in the net too, so don't bother too much, but if anybody happens to know, i'd be very happy, if you shared that with me.
i have a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY

thanks for your help
gaia