Re: making a new kernel

First, welcome to Debian!

I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago, and for a while it's pretty uncomfortable.

There is a *tremendous* amount of documentation available for Debian, but that doesn't help you unless you know how/where to find it.

I recommend Steve Hunger's book "The Debian GNU/Linux Bible". It's a couple of years old, but most of the book is still helpful.

Next, get aptitude. That's "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get install aptitude". Aptitude is a package browser with a more friendly interface than dselect.

Open aptitude and browse the "Not Installed Packages" "Doc" section. (Use the "+" key to show which packages you'd like to install.) Get as much documentation as you can stand, but be sure to get "dwww". It creates a local www site on which you can browse the many kinds of help available. (It will require and install Apache, but configured without network access so it's not a security problem.)

Another good package is "newbiedoc", which is just what it sounds like.

Some people are pretty impatient with newbie questions, and that's a shame -- we were all newbies once. I hope you don't let that run you away from the best Linux.

Good luck.

Kevin