Re: DELL Inspiron and some problems

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:12:16PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 12:57, Karsten Rothemund wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:38:07AM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 08:01, Karsten Rothemund wrote:

[...]

> > NO. It didn't stop, even after the machine was shutdown for one hour.
>
> Hmm. This is strange. After you shut down the machine, did you
> disconnect the power and take the battery out to make sure that nothing
> inside could still be "alive"? If it still happens after this then it
> could be an actual hardware failure.

No. That's right: the batteries were left installed.

[...]
> > > new keyboard.
> >
> > They already did this. It does not help.
>
> So you do get "clicks" for the letters that don't show up?

I haven't tried the "click"-test. But I will do it. But DELL changed the
keyboard (I think, it was a "blind action", just to do something - only my
impression)

> > [BIOS]
> > > There is no really "good" Dell BIOS. You just have to find the one that
> > > breaks the fewest number of things. :)
> > >
> > A08 was good for about 1 year. But then .... I try to go back, but how? It
> > seems to be not straight forward as booting the BIOS-floppy to UPgrade.
>
> It should be that simple. You should just be able to boot from the BIOS
> floppy and tell it which BIOS image to install. (Assuming you have a
> copy of the appropriate BIOS image.)

I will try this again. First time I tried to go back, it didn't work.

[...]

> No problem. I'm glad to (try to) help. :)
>
> p.s. I read this list regularly, so please keep replies on the list so
> that other people can benefit in the future from reading the mailing
> list archives.

Sorry. The mail should have also gone to the list (I forgot it but added the
list adress later).

Greetings from the Baltic Sea

--
Karsten Rothemund

GnuPG-Key-ID: 842968229F598ECB  (Please use it)
GnuPG-Key Fingerprint: A4D3 D837 7DA0 32D8 D7C7  AD35 8429 6822 9F59 8ECB