Re: OT: was: Subject: led.led solar lamp.cd vcd dvd mp3.car cd vcd dvd mp3.grease gun

mi wrote:
> True. I read it up in KHelp. There's no information about the
> downloading procedure, however. I wondered if it calls one of
> my standard browser's, where Javascript sometimes IS enabled.

No, it calls internal KHTML functions of KDE (which are used by
Konqueror too), so KMail can reliably control whether or not
Javascript is used.

> No, sorry, still I'm suspicious. Because i do understand too
> less from html and Java.

Again, there is no real browser involved in HTML display, so no
Java.

> Could be some information passed anyway:  like MTA which hints
> the OS... at least it validates the address and that the
> download works.

Well, yes. It is actually another reason, why these HTML mails
are done -- when stuff is downloaded from the Net, there could be
quite a conversation between your computer and spammer's server.

> Leading to even more Spam ....

I guess, there is no way any more how to HIDE from spam, you have
to actively FIGHT it with some kind of spam filter (the most
popular is spamassassin, www.spamassassin.org, but I use
bogofilter from bogofilter.sourceforge.net).

> On a permanent connection, just receiving kindoff Spam may
> cause even gigs of downloads then ?  I never heard of such
> problem.

Theoretically yes, but still there is an equillibrium between
what you download and the bandwidth of spammer which is necessary
to be used. And given the cottage industry substance of
spammer's, I do not think, there are many people willing to
sacrifice T1 link just to push out trash with very problematic
results (I guess, that there is really really low response rate
for spam, so spending obscene amounts of money on it is real
waster).

> In KMail, the only roughly appropriate chooser still isn't checked.  But
> apparently it didn't prevent.

View/Prefer HTML (or something like that and there is something
similar in Options/Preferences/??? -- prefer HTML over Plain
ASCII, or something like that).

> Ok, anyway,  i'll move to gnus for a long time now.
> (yes, it's a typo, but exactly true ;-)

You really don't have to (unless you are really heavily addicted
to Emacs -- then there is no hope :-).

   Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)