Re: starting blackbox with woody - how?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 01:26:02AM +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> On Monday, 17. February 2003 00:26, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 12:06:18AM +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> > > Is there a chance to start bb with the Gnome Window Manager,
> > > or is bb to start manualy?
>
> Salve  hugH,
> thank you for helping. I was wrong, not Gnome Window Manager,
> I wanted to say Gnome Display Manager
ah, .xsession wont help you then. as a display manager needs to be run
before the user has logged in [and .xsession is run afterwoulds...]
This renders the rest of my reply pretty much useless unless you are
using xdm and still want to setup .xsession files.

> > put which ever window manager you like in ~/.xsession
> >

>  ~/ should be the home-dir of the user?
~/ is by definition the home dir of the current user.
cd to ~/ then do pwd and see where you are!
your prompt should tell you unless your have done something silly to it

> - well this does not work.
what happening, is something else starting?
did you create or modify .xsession?
If you created it, did you start with #! then chmod to executeable when
finnished? sorrif if thats insulting...

if something else is starting, you might have to get rid of some stuff
from /etc/rc.x think there are tools for this but i cant remember..so
youll prob have to do some reading. [update-[something?]]

there are prob better ways of doing things, but i find just putting
whatever in .xsession is simple and i can have different WM for
different users. Works for me, but other people may suggest better ways
for you...

hugh