Re: vmlinuz too big

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:39, Hugo S. Carrer wrote:
> > > This is a public list.  Just because English is the
> > > language we (mostly) have in common is no reason people
> > > shouldn't use their own language.  I don't speak
> > > anything else, and can't read much better, but I have no
> > > problem with posts in portugese or any other language.
> >
> > This is a public list for English language discussions.
>
> This is the only debian-laptop list so it is implied that
> anybody can post on it, just because somebody doesn't speak
> english it doesn't mean that he or she doesn't deserve help.

No, they can get someone to translate the message for them if it is to be
published here.  Or they can subscribe to one of the many lists that cater to
their language.

> > If it starts getting many posts in other languages I'll
> > unsubscribe.
>
> It would be a big loss for the list and I really mean it.
> But I don think that threats are the way to go here.

It's not a threat, it's a matter of being practical.  At a conservative
estimate the time I spend answering questions on lists could gain me $20,000
per year if I spent it working.  If reading the lists takes twice as long am
I supposed to spend so much less time working?  Of course not, I'll just
unsubscribe from half the lists I'm on.

> > Just think about this for 10 seconds.  Think about the
> > number of languages that are used in the world and how
> > useless a mailing list would be if all languages were
> > represented in proportion to their use.
>
> I'm from Argentina and luckily i can write/read english
> but no everybody can and that doesn't diminish (?) their
> right to get help from a FREE community.

You won't get any help from me if you ask in a language other than English,
probably most people on the list will say something similar.  It's not a
matter of rights, it's a matter that if you want a favour from someone then
you have to speak a language they know.