Hibarnation / lphdisk / Destroyed MBR

Hi.
Here I am with my original topic :)

I installed and activated the apm stuff  on my Inspiron 5000
and anything worked well 'out of the box' !   :-)

Now i created a hibernation partition type A0 with lphdisk. Since i thought
of maximum speed writing on the outermost rim of disk, in the beginning had
provided a 549 MB hda1 for hibernation.
Yet with only 128 MB Ram installed.
I toggled  'save to disk' in the BIOS and later tried 'Fn Q' -
hurra, it works !
But when waking the machine up again, it says,
to get to work hibernation you have to reboot again or to insert the original
harddrive !? I guess it didn't found the hda1 ?

Rebooting didn't work, also. Fortunateley there was no linux-partition
destroyed, only the grub MBR had gone. I could chroot into the original
filesystem from an installer-ramdisk and reinstall it.

Now, it would be fine to tell the BIOS not to overwrite the mbr !
Or am i have to put the hib partition elsewhere ?
However, that would sadly confuse my well designed partition layout.

Anybody's got any hint to me ?

--

micha.