Re: 3com network card, trouble w pcmcia-modules

I'll try to address what I think is the fundamental problem:  your PCMCIA
modules are not installed.

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:29:52PM -0800, David Emerson wrote:

> I'll start with what appears (to my ignr'nt eyes) to be the problem:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/   does not exist.
>
> /etc/pcmcia/    exists but only contains one empty file, "cis"
> /etc/pcmcia.conf    does not exist either.
>
> This is probably because the pcmcia-modules package was not installed properly (see below)

I think you're right about that.  See below.

> (( (And can someone explain to me why the above command works, but I can't run pcmcia from the init.d directory?)
>    lakshmi:/etc/init.d# pcmcia restart
>    bash: pcmcia: command not found
> ))

The "current directory" (.) is not in your command path (nor should it be,
as this is considered a security risk).  Use "./pcmcia restart".

> # apt-get install pcmcia-modules
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package pcmcia-modules has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> E: Package pcmcia-modules has no installation candidate
> #

The package you want to install is "pcmcia-modules-2.2.xx" where "xx"
matches the revision of your installed kernel.  Unfortunately, "dpkg --list"
truncates package names (a real pain, in my opinion), so it's difficult to
determine the exact name of the package to pass to "apt-get".  For that
reason, I usually use "dselect" to find and install problematic packages
like that.

Hmmm... I thought I'd read something in your original post that lead me to
believe you were running a 2.2 kernel... I'm not sure it that's the case;
anyway, if you're running a 2.4 kernel, the package name will be "kernel-
pcmcia-2.4.xx".

> # apt-get install pcmcia-cs
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Sorry, pcmcia-cs is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> #

Looks like this is installed fine.

Marc