Re: Mapping eth0 two ways

Derek Broughton <dbroughton@netcom.ca> wrote around 21 Jan 2003
[🔎] 00a001c2c14c$0987b880$3746028e@bio.dfo.ca:">news:[🔎] 00a001c2c14c$0987b880$3746028e@bio.dfo.ca:

> whereami or intuitively work much more, well - intuitively.  And they
> don't stop in the boot process.

I am starting to lean toward 'whereami' or 'intuitively' now, because of
this List. The examples given in the 'netenv' package are hard to
understand (I think because some files are being used /referenced in
them, that aren't set up or even existing, by default, as netenv is
installed on the fresh system) and the author isn't here supporting it,
whereas the authors of both 'whereami' and 'intuitively' seem to be
right here on this List if I am not mistaken in my impression. That's a
powerful argument in favor of switching over to one or the other.

So my next question is this: ALL these packages seem oriented towards
PCMCIA bus cards but I am not using PCMCIA, I have a built-in NIC (3Com
Tornado). It seems like the examples given for these two newer packages
that can help me use my laptop with a DHCP-based ISP (cable modem), both
also use the PCMCIA package? Are all the examples and mechanisms for all
(3 of) these packages geared towards that? I don't want to touch my
PCMCIA package files, since I am not using that hardware. It doesn't
make sense to me that I would have to configure something belonging to
PCMCIA or even learn about it, when i am not using PCMCIA to begin
with.

And, I still have to get my NIC to believe that it has a different
station address (MAC address) than the default, in order to get my
server to talk to me, TTBOMK.

   Thanks,
     Soren A

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"