Re: cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

Thorsten Hirsch <t.hirsch@web.de> wrote around 26 Jan 2003
[🔎] 3E3456C0.4010208@web.de:">news:[🔎] 3E3456C0.4010208@web.de:

> cyn wrote:
>> indeed I have compiled it in - kernel 2.4.20, but it doesn't show up
>> any differently - are you sure your append matches that exactly?
>
> In my lilo.conf, under the section of my kernel, it says
> ------
> append="video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:12288"
> ------
>
>> I've got X with DFI and the whole 'shebang' working and playing DVDs
>> - so
>
> You mean DRI ;-) It's not used for DVD playback, but for 3D-effects,
> it provides OpenGL hardware support. You can check out, if it's really
> working with TuxRacer and glxgears, or you ask glxinfo.
>
>> I know the sisfb is definately working, but it doesn't yield
>> high-resolution console.
>
> Well, at me it works. And the kernel parameter in lilo.conf is the
> only place, where you can configure sisfb's graphics mode of your
> console. If you didn't make a fault at replacing the standard drivers
> in the kernel source or at the kernel configuration, it should work
> for you, too.
>
>> -Martin N.
>>
>> note: I haven't gotten winischhofer.net's sisfb patch to the kernel
>> to compile correctly, so I'm still using the builtin kernel
>> sisfb/etc. - but my understanding is that still wants it in this
>> form.
>
> Aaaaah! Now I understand! No, it doesn't work with the standard sisfb
> driver. You really have to use the one from www.winischhofer.net.
> There is also a driver for XFree, that you should use, if you want to
> have DRI (-->OpenGL), 'cause the standard driver does definetly NOT
> support it.

Hi, its me -- the other fellow -- again. I have a question of a larger
sort about all this, maybe you can help. I think I follow the discussion
given above pretty well, and it is quite helpful in increasing my
understanding (on a general level, although I have an Nvidia card /
circuit rather than SiS in my laptop). But one thing about which I have
misgivings is:

In the documentation for framebuffer (I think -- sorry it was a couple
of days ago that I read it) it seems to say something like "if you set a
video mode other than VGA-standard in your lilo.conf, you will not be
able to switch to another video mode later (after login)". I couldn't
understand completely what the wording meant, but it did not sound good.
How, if at all, does this manipulating of video in lilo.conf affect
one's ability to run a normal X session at the resolution one has become
accumstomed to? My laptop is configured to boot right into an Xlogin
dialogue (from which I can choose what kind of Xsession to run, as which
user -- a KDE session, or GNOME, or whatever).

If there's no relationship between fb and X, if these things are
completely independent of one another, then that will be good news.

What I want to to do is to set up a special lilo.conf "profile" entry
for special occasions such as when I might have system maintenance /
repair / recovery to do (you never know, and it doesn't hurt to be
prepared in advance for such eventualities). That would be, a login to
runlevel "1" (single-user su mode, no daemons started, just a text
terminal). I just want to know whether once I have started the system
this way, will I be completely barred from starting X "by hand" during
that session (that is, jumping to another runlevel without rebooting),
because of these special high-resolution fb settings in lilo.conf?

   Thanks,
    Soren A

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"