Wireless PCMCIA - which one

Dear all,

I've been gathering information about Wireless LAN's. This this is totally new for me, i have some "experience"-questions for the lucky ones owning a wireless pcmcia & acces point: 1) In the Netherlands "sitecom" is a very popular brand. These wireless PC-cards support IEEE 802.11b. However, has anyone experience with these cards under GNU/Linux? 2) Furthermore, I wonder, if I use ssh over the wireless LAN to connect to my server to login in as root; is it possible to "snif" the wireless communication-line and extract the root password in any manner? Thus is the wireless communication-line "ssh-encrypted"?

grtz Asim