Re: video on toshiba satellite 1800-100 Please Help !!

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:35, Thierry Benita wrote:
> Hi, I upgraded to X4.2 and it's worse than before : all X is now _verry_verry_
> slow :-(
>
> Does anybody have a laptop with a Trident Cyberblade Ai1 chip ? Or does
> anybody know where I should search ?

I do.  Cyberblade i7d (rev 92).  I'm running XFree86 4.2, and it works
great.  I switched to 4.2, because 4.1 seems to have a couple of
problems with xv: there is always a blue line some 32 pixels wide on the
left side of windows using acceleration, which degenerate in all-blue
windows, with no image, after a suspend cycle.  Both are fixed in 4.2.

Having said that, I don't understand what could be the problem with your
machine.  The only thing I can think of is a misconfiguration in
XF86Config-4.  In the "Module" section, this is what I load:

  Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "pex5"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "xie"
  EndSection

And my "Device" section looks like this:

  Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Trident Cyberblade"
        Driver          "trident"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
        Option          "SWCursor"
  EndSection

I have not changed anything else (aside from configuring my keyboard and
the very nice Synaptics touchpad driver).  It just works.

Oh, I do enable the kernel frame buffer at boot.  Maybe that makes a
difference?  I do that with an

  append="video=trident:800x600,bpp=16,center,fp"

in my lilo.conf.  That gets me very nice high resolution text consoles.
I have the Trident FB driver built into my kernel, it is not loaded as a
module.  I don't know if you can do this if the driver is a module.

I hope this helps.

 -CR