Re: Configuring dhcp

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:19:09 +0900 (JST)
Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> wrote:

> After spending a day trying to get my ADSL connection working on Woody
> to no avail, I figured I'd download the Sarge CD's, and give a try. In
> the process of HW detection, early in the installation, I got:
>
>     The rtl8139 module required for Realtek RTL-8139 is missing from
>     this installation disk. If you want to load it from a driver
>     floppy, then insert this floppy disk before proceeding
>
>     A driver floppy is a ext2 floppy with one file, modules.tgz. The
>     content of modules.tgz is unpackaged in the installation root
>     directory.
>
> My network adapter is indeed this one, so I went to the Realtek site,
> downloaded the driver for the 2.4 kernel, formatted a floppy as ext2,
> packed the driver into a file named modules.tgz, copied to the floppy
> and gave it a try. The error message is:
>
> mount: mounting /dev/floppy/0 on /mnt failed: no such file or
> directory
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Chuck
>
> ---------------------------
> Charles Muller
>
> Toyo Gakuen University
> Faculty of Humanities
> 1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi
> Chiba 270-0161 JAPAN
>
> <acmuller@gol.com>
> http://www.acmuller.net
> Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787
>

> --

Hi

First: you do not need any driver from realtek, it is included in the
kernel sources
Second: From the config File of the bf2.4 floppies i gather that the
driver is compiled in the kernel, so you don't need the module
Third: if you want/need to use the drivers from the modules.tgz you can
get it either from the debian mirror as a whole or as disk images for
installation (for both you need to get the coresponding one for the disk
images you use...)

so, did you use a bf2.4 series floppy or a standard floppy ?
if not, try the bf2.4 series...on modern hardware a 2.4 series kernel is
really a good thing...

I hope I could help.

yours
Albert Dengg