Cannot start X server

I'm a Debian newbie, trying to check it out after two years on RH. I am
trying to install on my laptop, a Clevo D400. On the first boot after
installation, I am getting hung just before starting the X server

  "I cannot start your X server...it is likely that it is not set up
  correctly..."

I installed from CDs burnt from the ISOs for 30r. The rest of the
installation (Vanilla) seemed to go OK, and Mandrake and RH9 ran on this
laptop previously. There is a full page of report from which I am
advised to determine the error, but nothing specific is identified
here. The line listed as "error" (EE) plus the line above is

(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error: no screens found

I'd appreciate any help.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
http://www.acmuller.net