Re: Thinkpad T40p, linux 2.6, ACPI

debian-laptop@lists.debian.org wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Christian Wiedel wrote:
>
> CW> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:02:56 -0500
> CW> "Noah L. Meyerhans" <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> CW>
> CW> > Hello.  I just got a new Thinkpad T40p.  It's a very nice
> CW> > machine, and is quite well supported under Linux 2.6.0-test11.
> CW> > ACPI stuff works pretty well for the most part, except for one
> CW> > major problem: I can't use it to shut the machine off.  If I run
> CW> > "shutdown -h now" the system goes through all the shutdown steps
> CW> > as usual, but never actually causes the machine to power down.
>
> I had the same problem. Now I use "poweroff" and it works. But where
> does that script come from? I do not know, is it part of the acpi
> package?

Poweroff is part of package "sysvinit" and is a symlink to `halt`:

mystaz@toaster tmp $ ls -l /sbin/poweroff
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Sep 30 17:19 /sbin/poweroff
-> halt*
mystaz@toaster tmp $

And `man halt` states:
	-p	When halting the system, do a poweroff. This is the
		default when halt is called as poweroff.

Cheers,
Serge