hotplug update unplugged mouse! (apt-get problem!!)

I recently ran an apt-get dist-upgrade (debian testing) on a 2.4.22 kernel and one of the things upgraded was hotplug.

Now when I boot, my usbmouse won't load as apparently kerbdev & hid weren't found..

a simple insmod usbmouse got it going again.

problem is that if i compile my 2.4.22 kernel with HID the mouse doesn't work at all.. never..

so I think the solution is to downgrade hotplug but I have no idea how, using apt-get.

from my reading I am pretty sure I have figured out how to hold the version of program xyz so that it doesn't get upgraded, which'll be handy when I have downgraded hotplug, but not much use at the moment...!

as an alternative, is there a way I can force usbmouse to be insmod'd regardles of lack of hid &/or keybdev?

cheers,

smerk

and yes i know that apt-get problem is not a good idea!