Re: Inspiron 2650 Kernel 2.6 nvidia problem

james@soon.co.uk wrote:
Hello

I have just subscribed to this list, I hope I am going about getting help in the
correct way.

I seem to be tantalizingly close to successfully installing
kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 on my Inspiron 2650 but I keep falling at the last
fence of trying to patch & install the nvidia video driver:

System Details -
Debian (testing/sarge), Dell Inspiron 2650 P4, 32MB GeForce2 Go

Story so far -
Kernel - Installed & unpacked kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 via apt/aptitude then
did the following as root:

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.0-test9
make menuconfig (made selections using a saved config file from my 2.4.22 kernel
as a starting point)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
cd /usr/src/
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.0-test9_custom.1.0_i386.deb
lilo
shutdown -r now

The Inspiron booted fine but as I expected it did not successfully launch X the
screen did flicker while trying but it defaulted back to the console. Brief
inspection using dmesg | more showed nothing worrying outside the launch of X.

Nvidia - Downloaded the following:

apt-get install module-init-tools
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run (from Nvidia)
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496-2.6.diff (from www.minion.de)

Then as root I did the following:

cd /usr/src/ (this is were I downloaded the .run & .diff files to)
./NVIDIA*pkg2.run --extract-only
cd /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2/usr/src/nv
patch -p1 < /usr/src/NVIDIA*.diff (No errors displayed)
ln -s Makefile.kbuild Makefile (No errors displayed)
make install (No errors displayed)
lilo (Not sure I needed to do this)
shutdown -r now

The reboot went fine until X lunched a which point the Nvidia logo appeared
three times (this might correspond with the 3 resolution in my XF86Config-4) and
then everything locked-up even Ctrl-Alt-Backspace failed to work.

It would be great if some knowledgeable person could please point out the
blindingly obvious error I am making here, which for some reason is totally
escaping me.

Any useful pointers gratefully received.

James

---
James Aitken

"Don't worry, everything's getting nicely out of control" Douglas Adams

--
Personalised email by http://another.com

you have to reinstall the nvidia-glx package. Atleast that did the trick for me. Ohh.. check /var/log/XFree86 and check for lines starting with (EE) or (WW) if it dosn't help

Greets Niko