Re: Debian Users...

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 04:48:15PM +0100, tilo kremer wrote:
> > Debian users,
> > -how many of you are running Gnome?
>
> after having used olwm/olvwm from early 90ies on, i switched to
> enlightenment 2 years ago to shortly afterwards move on to sawfish,
> occasionally w/ gnome.
>
> main reason for using them was to be able to have overlapping windows
> which DONT get raised when clicked into. many other wm's couldnt do it
> or were a pita to configure.

openbox3 is quite nice. Very configurable and easily so, can do all you
want, and has the nice feature that you can hide the window frame if you
want, so esspecially on small screens if you want to maximize your
editor or terminal to the full you can loose the border and then
maximize (I use that quite extensivly on my 14" laptop).
The problem with it is that it doesn't have an official debian package
yet. There is one at:
deb http://www.hetzi.at/thomas/debian unstable/i386/
deb http://www.hetzi.at/thomas/debian unstable/all/
(I don't think you need the all line but not sure).
For graphics configuration you will need to compile obconf from source,
get it at
www.openbox.org
and the menus have to been done in the text file, but very easy to
configure, and allows for dynamic menus from scripts (you can attached
the output of a script to a menu).
To get debian menus you will need an extra file for the update menus
package, it doesn't come with the package by default for some reason.
Either mail me if you interested of search through the archives, someone
posted it in a thread I started not long ago about lite window managers.

fvwm is also nice. Very light and configurable, but a bit of a hell to
actually configure (the unstable 2.5 version has a themes package that
does quite a good job at giving you some nice basic configurations, but
both are not in the official archives yet, although there are debian
packages).