CPU fan, CPU speed control

Hi, I've just got a laptop with a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz CPU. The fan is very
noisy and seems to stay on all the time. I've been interested in the
recent discussion on this list about CPU speed control because I was
wondering whether the fan might turn off at times when the CPU was going
slower (plus it'd be good for batteries). However I'm new to debian and
linux and have not managed to get cpudynd or cpufreq working. I haven't
tried powernowd which I understand requires kernel 2.6. I'd be very
grateful for any suggestions about how to get control over the CPU speed
and/or calm the fan down a bit if/when it's not needed. Below is a
description of my attempt to get cpudynd working, with and withough ACPI.

I'm running kernel 2.4.22 at the moment. I installed and tried to get
working cpudynd:

dd:/home/dan# cpudynd
cpudynd version 0.4.7 Copyright: Ricardo Galli <gallir@uib.es>
cpudynd: CPU frequency control disabled
Error: Nothing to do, exiting

I tried this with APM options enabled in my kernel compilation, and now
I've enabled ACPI options as well and get the same response. How do I
enable CPU frequency control in this case?

More info:

Since having ACPI options included in my kernel, things seem to think I
have two CPUs. Is this normal/correct? Now when I look at /proc/cpuinfo I
get

dd:/proc# cat cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3000.144
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5989.99

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3000.144
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5989.99

The contents of /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info are:

dd:/proc/acpi/processor/CPU1# cat info
processor id:            0
acpi id:                 1
bus mastering control:   yes
power management:        no
throttling control:      yes
performance management:  no
limit interface:         yes

And BTW, is there any chance that the fan will turn off or slow down a bit
at lower CPU speeds (Do they (always) have a thermostat or something?)

Thanks a lot,

Dan

dan davison
http://home.uchicago.edu/~davison/