Compaq Armada virtual terminal messing up

ok that came out under another thread by accident so im reposting...

hi,
i'm running unstable, and xfree86 3.2.1-14

before starting x everything is fine. Then I start it and when i try to to got to one of the virtual terminal consoles, the screen is messed up. Even if I stop X they stay messed up (ie loads of colors just garbage completely unreadeable)

anyone had a similar problem? my settins for the virtual terminals dont seem ideal as text is only printed in a small square in the screen, it doesent take up the whole screen width or height for some reason

thanks