Advice on new laptop

Hi,

My old laptop is no more.  It is dead, an ex-laptop.

I'm looking for a new one.  It will run Debian Linux 99.99% of the time,
and will be used for building websites.  It will run apache, mysql,
gnome, mozilla, evolution, gnumeric, gimp, sodipodi, ...

I'm looking for advice and recommendations and people willing to share
good and bad experiences.

I need the following:

decent cpu (no celerons or similar)
512Mb ram
40+Gb disk
decent video card (no games, the occasional movie)
14"-15" TFT display
preferably two PCMCIA slots, but one is ok if there's a supported wifi card.

It'll be nice with DVD and/or CD-RW, integrated nic and/or wifi,
touchpad and usable sound.  A modem is ok, but not a necessity.

It'll run Debian, so a machine without a preinstalled OS is preferred.

I know most things will work without problems, but the video should be
supported well, likewise the nic and wifi and sound, which seem to be
the usual troublespots.

I just need a solid machine to do my business, something that works well
with a minimum of fuss, custum made kernels and drivers and the like.

I have been looking around a bit.  I have found a very good offer for an
Asus A2500H, but I have been unable to find anything about linux on it.
Another one that seems to work with Linux is the Dell Inspiron 5100,
though I would have to get it with a different wifi card to get that to
work.

Anyway, any advice would be very welcome.

My old laptop was an Asus L8400C which served me well, but the cpu fan
died and took cpu and motherboard with it, so it died of heat stroke.
There's some melted plastic inside!  A repair will cost something like
half the price of a new laptop.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)