Re: Pentium-M

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:11, Simone Crippa wrote:
> I have heard several different opinions about the best CPU optimization
> for compiling a new Kernel for a Pentium-M (Centrino) system.
>
> Some say Pentium-IV others say Pentium-3.

Rumor has it that the Pentium-M core is more similar to P-3 than P-4, but
rumors have been wrong before.  ;)

In casual tests they should both give similar performance, the benefits of
optimisation for a kernel are not that great.

If you use bonnie++ version 1.9x then the per-char tests may show some
difference between kernels, and the file creation tests on bonnie++ may show
some difference too (especially on ReiserFS).

Also try a benchmark that uses SysV IPC, semaphores etc are areas that may get
more benefit from CPU optimisation.

If you have gigabit Ethernet then do some tests of that, it's one of the few
things that can really stress kernel code without any user-space interaction.
Try testing iptables and routing of gig-E.