Re: Debian on a 486sx thru PCMCIA NIC

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 02:55:03AM +0100, Gerlando Falauto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install Linux on a old Toshiba T1900 laptop (486sx/20MHz,
> 8MB of RAM). It does not have a CD drive, so I was hoping I could
> get it off the network (either from a local PC or the Internet) thru a
> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA card (3c589).
> What version should I use and HOW?

	It's kind of cheating, but one way to handle these issues is to put
the drive in a more powerful desktop and do the install there.  Another method
is to install potato via network or floppy and then dist-upgrade.  It's worth
your while to set up a swap partition on the drive as soon as possible.  Note
that in any case apt is horrendously slow in 8 megs of ram.

	Finally, I was able to get redhat 5.something onto a 486 laptop with 4
megs of ram by copying a minimal install to a zip disk and then using a
parallel zip drive along with a boot floppy to copy it over to the hard drive.

--
                                            Audin Malmin - audin@okb-1.org

I think physicists are the Peter Pans of the human race. They never grow up
and they keep their curiosity.	-- I. I. Rabi