Re: laptop-net and ppp (woody on Dell I8600)

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:24:21PM -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I'm at an impasse: too many variables.  I've read the laptop-net manual very
> carefully, twice, configured laptop-net per the manual, but I'm getting
> erratic behavior.  First the general questions:

I'm not using laptop-net, so I can't say if it messes up dial-up. But
solving those problems where root can do things and ordinary users
can't: use sudo to permit ordinary users to run pon and poff.

In debian it is a bad idea to change permissions of files. The Debian
way is to add users to the appropriate groups, for example
adduser username dialout
permits username to dial out using serial lines since
dilbert# ls -l /dev/ttyS?
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 elo     1  1997 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 elo     1  1997 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 elo     1  1997 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 elo     1  1997 /dev/ttyS3

I have managed the interfaces I use with /etc/network/interfaces and
pon/poff for dial-up links. This seems to be the easiest way and does
least damage to the Debian way of handling network interfaces.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
Tapio.Lehtonen@IKI.FI