More kernel problems

I'm attempting to build a kernel from the Debian 2.4.22 sources from Testing on Woody. I've come upon several problems, though, so maybe someone on this list can help.

When I boot, I'm getting messages saying "modprobe: cannot find module block-major-22" followed by a kernel panic. From what I've read, this can be a symptom of a badly configured initrd. I don't need initrd (I don't think), so I made a non-initrd kernel image and tried that. On boot, I got messages saying that VFS couldn't find my root filesystem, followed by a kernel panic.

Thinking that maybe initrd is worth it, I added 'ide-disk' to /etc/mkinitrd/modules (block-major-22 is the IDE disks) and rebuilt the kernel using make-kpkg. It didn't work though, I got the 'cannot find module block-major-22' error again.

What do I have to do to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]