Re: Re: custom install

Hi!

Brett Ryland wrote (Tue 2003-Oct-14 01:17:02 +1300):

> ... just copied everything over with cp -rp (except /proc of course) (careful of /dev, used mc to copy this).

You've got to be careful with this. If you've really only used
"cp -rp", you probably lost all your links... Quite a good
choice is to use "cp -rpd" which is equivalent to "cp -a" =
"cp --archive".

Another solution -- which I have first seen in the software RAID
HOWTO -- is:

  find SOURCEDIR -xdev | cpio -pm TARGETDIR

This has definitely proven to be a very clean way of copying a
whole filesystem's contents.

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/