Re: swsusp on Debian laptop (kernel 2.4.22)

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 08:34, Cesar Rincon wrote:
> Hola, Jerome.
>
> Ipsissima verba Jerome BENOIT:
> > I plan to install soon the swsusp sofware
> >
> > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/Software-suspend.html
> >
> > on my Debian (testing/unstable) laptop with kernel 2.4.22:
> > I have just succeeded to apply the patch the Debian kernel-source
> > package and built the kernel image:
> > nevertheless before going further,
> > I would hear about misadventures (or success stories) about it !
>
> I have it on Linux 2.4.20 on a Compaq Presario 1277, and it works most
> of the time, but it has a couple of issues that still make me shutdown
> much more often than hibernate:
>
>  - It is kind of slow.  For me, a normal boot + startx takes around
>    the same time as resuming from hibernation.  This may be because I
>    don't run many services, nor xdm, gdm or such things, so my machine
>    boots fast anyway... but shutting down is definitely faster than
>    suspending.  Particularly than suspending when a lot of apps are
>    running.  And I don't have that much RAM (192M, not much for modern
>    standards, anyway).
>
>  - Sometimes it crashes (kernel panic) while restoring a saved memory
>    dump, which forces me to boot with noresume, losing the saved
>    state.  Then only Emacs autosave keeps me from losing work.  I
>    think this is related to hotplug: shutting down PCMCIA and USB
>    before suspending seems to help.
>
>  - Sometimes X gets confused by it.  Specifically xv acceleration; on
>    rare occasions the touchpad dies too.  Sometimes switching to a
>    text console and back fixes these, sometimes I have to restart X.
>    This is Xfree86 4.3.0 on a Trident Cyberblade, with the synaptics
>    touchpad driver.
>
> Anyway, as I said, most of the time it works, so I do suspend now and
> then.  Also, as you can guess from my kernel version, I'm probably not
> running the latest and greatest swsusp.  Some of those issues may have
> been fixed, and the suspend/resume times improved... so please tell us
> how it worked for you :-)

I would suggest going switching to kernel 2.4.22 and swsusp 1.1-rc9
(rc10 should probably be out soon as rc9D was introduced on the mailing
list and Nigel was given some grant money to finish swsusp for 2.4
kernels and start moving the 2.6 version). Its much more stable and more
advanced.
As for PCMCIA and USB, you should stop them before suspend as they don't
suspend well. afaik both of them don't have any suspend support
currently. Also stop hotplug. Another thing that can help is changing to
a regular vt before suspend. This makes most video cards and mouse
drivers release the hardware.
If you are not doing so already, try using the suspend script in the
site, make sure to configure the script first to do all the things I
mentioned.
Make sure that you go to the download page on the site to see the
current latest version.
If you need more help, tell me.