Re: having trouble getting started

On Sunday 21 September 2003 02:39, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>   > Trying to install Debian on my inspiron 5000.  four attempts, four
> >
> > failures.
>
> now 5th failure.
>
> bf24 install
> took most debs from CD with balance from main Debian mirror and security
>
> tasksel had no X11 option, selected desktop and laptop

This is weired. After install did you do dpkg -l? If so, what X packages did
you have installed? Also, when you did a 5th install, did you "initialize"
partition where you installed debian first?

> failed at:
>
> shutting down PCMCIA services: cardmgrunable to handle kernel paging
> request
>
> then a kernel panic.

Did you by any chance install a new kernel (e.g. 2.4.18-1-686) and not
corresponding pcmcia modules?

> suggestions?

You ought to give more detailes as to what were your installation steps. This
way it is hard to guess what went wrong. To give you some hope, this is what
guy who installed potato on his i5000 had to say:
opinion:
 Installation of Linux very easy since all the hardware is perfectly
supported. No problems, not even with suspend/resume.
(http://empl.home.cern.ch/empl/inspiron.html)

Good luck,
Slaven