How to fix or disable the diskette on an A20P

I have an IBM ThinkPad A20P that has a bad diskette.  I get an error
"02B0: Diskette drive A error" when I boot, and have to hit an ESC
to get past it.  I don't really need a diskette drive all that much, but
I'd like to fix the drive or disable it so I don't have the error halt.

I have the Hardware Maintenance Manual that IBM provides so I
have the part numbers.  However, a replacement TEAC drive is
listed at $242.00 on the IBM parts web site, and that's obscene.

Anyone know a better source, or how to disable the drive completely?

TIA,
Vic Cain

------------ Quote of the Hour ------------
The optimum committee has no members.