Re: usb mouse not recognised in kernel 2.4.22 (continued)

crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 14  2002 /dev/input/mice

> Rather than loading and then unloading usbmouse, which may mess things up,
> try not loading usbmouse at all.  Does the mouse not work then?

No.

> Does it start working when you load usbmouse?

Does not. This is what did the trick. Removed all these modules:

  mousedev                3736   0  (unused)
  hid                    17892   0  (unused)
  usbmouse                1784   0  (unused)
  input                   3296   0  [mousedev hid usbmouse]
  usb-ohci               17672   0  (unused)

so that the only one that remained was this:

  usbcore                54592   1

which refused to be rmmod:ed. I subsequently modprobe:ed usb-ohci, and all
this bunch came back:

  mousedev                3736   0  (unused)
  hid                    17892   0  (unused)
  usbmouse                1784   0  (unused)
  input                   3296   0  [mousedev hid usbmouse]
  usb-ohci               17672   0  (unused)
  usbcore                54592   1  [hid usbmouse usb-ohci]

and my usb-mouse became usable again ;-)

So, there seems to be some relationship between usb-ohci and the rest, but
I have to admit: the logic around this stuff is not obvious to me. Trial
and terror seems to be the way to go ;-)
Don't dispair! You'll get it working, eventually ;-)

It also seems to me there's different behaviour, depending on the kernel
version.

Cheers,
Cristian