Re: No fsck in battery mode

On Monday 01 September 2003 01:04, Harry Brueckner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to avoid the regular fsck run (every n mounts or after m
> days) when the laptop is in battery mode?
>
> I think its quite a waste of battery power for the fsck run and
> rescheduling for the next reboot (with powersupply available) would be very
> nice. :-)
>
> Any idea how to get around the fsck run?
>
> TIA for any ideas,
>     Harry

So several of people have answered your question directly, however I would
like to caution you against this.

If fsck actually needs to run you are placing your data at considerable risk.
What you should consider is moving over to ext3 or another journaled fs.  For
the most part the journaling filesystems never need to run fsck check and are
MUCH better about handling sudden power loss.  Both of which are important on
a laptop.  The plus side is moving from ext2 -> ext3 is a simple matter of
running tune2fs and editing /etc/fstab to use ext3.  The stock Debian kernels
support ext3 and if you use your own compiling it in is trivial.

A search for 'ext3 laptop' will probably give you ideas about tuning the fs
further for your usage.