Re: Centrino & battery life ?

Joan Tur wrote:

I'm planning purchasing a centrino based laptop (Acer TM 290)... but I'd like
to know if the 5 hours battery life Acer announces are real in a linux
world...

Has any of you got a centrino based laptop?  If so, could you tell me how long
does the battery last?

I have an Acer travelmate 800LCI, the battery lasted about 4 hours on a travel... I put the laptop on suspend mode (for lunch) for 45 minutes during this travel. I used Window & linux (with "out of the box" 2.4.18 kernel : no ACPI patch, APM worked for suspend only). I watched movies for 3h15, and switched to linux for the last 45 minutes; the hard drive was "on" all the time. The CPU fan was off all the time, brightness to the lower setting.
  5 hours seems reacheable if you power off the hardrive quite often.

Of course I know it depends on real work, but it is going to give me an idea
;)  F.i.  my HP Omnibook 6000 lasted 3 hours, and my actual laptop, a HP
Omnibook XT1000 lasts about 2,5 hours... and I'm not compiling the kernel  ;)

HTH :)