Re: defragmenting/resizing

Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Question: did anyone try to use qtparted from a Knoppix CD yet to resize an
> NTFS partition (with ntfsresize as the backend) ?
>
> Ralf

	Well, I've got a Dell Desktop (no it's not a laptop, but the topic is
the same :). It's got WinXP on a 200GB drive. I want to end up with 50GB
for XP...
	Fired up Knoppix, ran qtparted/ntfsresize, but could only shrink the XP
down to around 120GB, since there were some XP files there. Tired WinXP
defrag in normal and safe mode, and tried Norton Utilites' Speed Disk;
all to no avail.
	I've been tossing around the idea of sticking the drive into another XP
machine, then copy all the files from the 200GB drive, reformat to the
size I want, copy all the files back, and see if it will reboot okay
afterwards. I have used that method before with Win98, maybe it'll work
with XP?

--
---   Dave Woyciesjes
---   ICQ# 905818