console framebuffer

Hello,

When I installed the 2.4.21 kernel-image, I gave the radeonfb a try.
I have an IBM X31 with a Radeon Mobility M6 LY (according to lspci),
and I really liked the console with the framebuffer.  (I liked it so
much that I started to learn screen.)

However, I was also quite interested in getting cpufreq to work, so
yesterday I pulled the source for kernel 2.6-test2 from the unstable
archive and I have been building kernels since.  cpufreq appears to be
working now (with apm), but I have lost my nice framebuffer.  When the
machine starts, it loads the framebuffer and spits out some
information (from dmesg):

> radeonfb_pci_register BEGIN
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:01:00.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1d.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:00.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:01.0
> radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=60, xclk=14400 from BIOS
> radeonfb: probed DDR SGRAM 16384k videoram
> radeon_get_moninfo: bios 4 scratch = 1000044
> radeonfb: panel ID string: 1024x768
> radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from BIOS: 1024x768
> radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY DDR SGRAM 16 MB
> radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
> radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
> radeonfb_pci_register END

Also, lsmod shows it.  But I don't think anything really happens to
the screen.  It seems the framebuffer module is loaded, but it isn't
doing anything.  I have grepped around for fbset under /etc and
/lib/modules hoping to find where that is happening when the 2.4.21
kernel loads, but I cannot find anything.  I have looked at the output
of fbset under both kernels and they look similar, only rgba and the
LineLength are different.

lpa:~# diff k2.4.fbseti k2.6.fbseti
6c6
<     rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
---
>     rgba 6/0,6/0,6/0,0/0
10c10
<     Name        : Radeon M6 LY
---
>     Name        : M6 LY
18c18
<     LineLength  : 1024
---
>     LineLength  : 0

There are no video append statements in lilo.conf.  Can anyone tell me
where to look in order to understand how the framebuffer is started in
the 2.4.21 kernel, so I can try to replicate it in my 2.6?  Thanks a
lot.

Brian