Re: How should I manage multiple wireless lan configs?

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> At work, it's an open WiFi lan without encryption. At home, I have WEP
> with a certain key. At my girlfriend's, it's WEP with a different key.
>
> They all have different SSID's.
>
> What I would like, of course, is to be able to configure my Debian
> laptop so that, when I boot the laptop at any of these locations, the
> laptop sees the SSID and automatically uses the right settings for
> that location.
>
> Seems simple enough to do. Windows does it. I just can't figure out
> which config files to tweak in Debian.

You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces, and use the support in the
'wireless-tools' package for configuring these values there.

Read the documentation for ifupdown and wireless-tools, and see how you
go.

        Daniel

--
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
        -- Timothy Leary