Re: USB on dell 5100

    "Abhay" == Abhay Pradhan <pradhan@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

    Abhay> On Wed Jul 30, 2003 at 08:03:14PM -0500 Shyamal Prasad
    Abhay> chose to say...
    >>  Try telling is what you are seeing fail.
    >>
    >> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686 apt-get install hotplug
    >>
    >> What is going wrong?
    >>
    >> Cheers!  Shyamal

    Abhay> well, i didnt know anything about hotplug. i just
    Abhay> recompiled my kernel (2.4.20) with USB support.

Personally, I'd try the prebuilt Debian kernel first. It gets rid of a
lot of problems and works on a large class of hardware. Being highly
modular the only bloat is in disk space and a slightly longer boot. I
strongly recommend it unless you have a good reason not to use it.

    Abhay> Here is my relevant dmesg output

    Abhay> so it has recognized both my mouse and keyboard. so now how
    Abhay> do i get it to work! :)

Frankly, I don't remember ;-) Seriously though, I use a prebuilt
2.4.18 kernel with hotplug and it just works out of a box for a USB
keyboard and mouse. Did you try hotplug?

Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to sound so ignorant when I'm trying to
help.....

Cheers!
Shyamal