Re: Trying to use "ifup wlan0" on PCMCIA card

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:14:03AM -0400, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I have a very low-spec laptop (IBM 340CSE w/ 12MB of RAM) and memory is
> at
> an absolutely premium.  I've installed a custom 2.4.21 kernel and
> linux-wlan-ng to use my Prism2 adapter, and it works great - except that
> cardmgr uses enough memory that I'm immediately pushed into swap when I
> start it.
>
> Now, I can insmod a few things manually ('p80211', 'ds', 'prism2_cs')
> and
> see the card's power and radio lights come on, but when I try to
> "ifup wlan0", then wlanctl-ng returns "No such device".

After getting the modules loaded, try:

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=yourssid authtype=opensystem

Then ifup wlan0 should work. I had the exact same problen with an
usb wireless nic, where the hotplug stuff wasn't doing the right thing.
I still can't fingure out where to change the scripts, but I can get
the thing to work. :)

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer@bnl.gov>
Brookhaven National Laboratory  (631) 344-3001