Debian on Thinkpad X21

I have a couple of questions, which are probably pretty basic, but are laptop related.

1) I have a compactflash slot on this laptop, and I can mount it normally, but I was wondering what the best way to automount it on insertion was.
2) When I disconnect or reconnect the UltraBay, the mouse stops working, or the Fn key, or some other key, but logging out and logging back in seems to fix it.  Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

I'm running unstable on a 2.4.21 kernel.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jason Powers