Re: sleepy laptop

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:46:21PM -0400, JGUSCLOWNS@cs.com wrote:
> need help I cannot wake up my computer it is a 95, and fell asleep the screen
> is blank except for the zzzs in a box, you cannot engage the keyboard to even
> type in a message to find out what is wrong, please help jgusclowns@cs.com

If your system is windows 95 I'm afraid most of us probably can't help
you - this is a list dedicated to the use of Debian Linux, a different
operating system than Microsoft Windows, on laptops.

My first thought would be, if you have blinkylights for the num lock,
cap lock, scroll lock features, to see if invoking any of these toggles
the lights.  If not then you are probably shuck out of luck...

I say "probably" because under Linux, and awake machine might be able to
be networked into, as sshd is a common thing to run.  Though not
necessarily on one's laptop.

If you *are* on Linux, and your cutesy screensaver is stuck, try Ctrl-Alt-F1
(or other function keys with Ctrl-Alt) to try to reach a textmode
console.  Then perhaps you can login as root and kill whatever is
locking it up.  Try to start small;  having to kill the entire GUI is
annoying, and there may be many innocent apps which are fine.  My usual
culprit is Netscape and its little dns helper cronies...

You could try unplugging and replugging any cords.  For instance, it
may be refusing to waken because the smart battery knows it doesn't have
enough juice to spin the drive back up.

Lastly, on many laptops there is a tiny hidden button under the machine,
which acts as a "full reset" if the top power button isn't working.

Best of luck.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078