Re: USB CD burner

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 10:55, R.Stepanyan wrote:
> One more thing: I've also heard about "IDE->USB" cases.
> They are quite cheap (up to $100) and allow to use "normal"
> internal IDE devices via usb.
>
> Example:
>  http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ME-320U2
> which costs only $35.00 !!!
>
> So, if one buys such a thing and a relatively cheap "internal"
> ide drive (5" like CD-reader or 3" like HD) then the total price
> can be actually lower than for "native" usb drives.
>
> Anyone has any experience with these external cases?

I just ordered one a few days ago that should be here next Monday. Mine
in particular is a firewire one. I'll post my experiences on here. I'm
going to be using it with a Sony DVD-ROM drive as well as a Plextor
CD-RW, and possibly a 120GB hard drive.

Also, in reply to your initial post, all USB 2.0 devices should be able
to run in USB 1.1 mode, however speed will still be a concern. If this
is going to be for use on your laptop, and you don't already have a
firewire or USB 2 port on it, I'd suggest looking at getting some of the
PCMCIA FireWire and/or USB2 boards. I just did a quick search on
pricewatch.com and they're showing USB 2.0 only cards for $20 US, and
USB 2.0/IEEE1394 (FireWire) combo boards for $59 US.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837