USB CD burner

Dear all,

I'd really appreciate any piece of advice concerning usage of usb CD
burners on Linux. After reading linux-usb.org, I am mainly interested in
any positive or negative experience you have had with this kind of
devices.

Planning to buy such a burner to use on Asus A1 series laptop which has
only two USB1 ports (so, NO usb2). But, as far as I understand, many
usb2 devices can emulate 1.1 and, in case of burning (which I am going
to do at speed ~8) usb 1 is more than enough (am i right?).

What are prices of usb burners? I looked on the internet for a couple of
models one can buy here in the Netherlands: they are prized from $200 up
to the sky.
E.g Plextor, which I believe is one of the best:

Plextor EXT USB 48x24x48 Plextor USB2  227,00 Euro

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Roman