Re: DELL Inspiron 8000 - 3COM 556 internal NIC/Modem

If this is the part I think it is -- the 3COM miniPCI
combo LAN and winmodem -- the modem will not work under
Linux.  The "modem" is a winmodem that contains intellectual
property from USR that they will not unveil -- and they
won't release any specs on it.  This card has been around
for a while and several people have tried to get 3COM and
USR to be more forthcoming, but without success.

--
Ciao,
al